Sunday, December 6, 2009

Things you see while driving

You can see some really strange things here while driving. I wish I had my camera with me the other day. As we were leaving our apartment complex we saw a man driving up to the interesection with his son standing on the footstep outside the driver's side door. He was using his left arm to help the son hold on. I don't know how long he drove like this. I suspect the boys was about 8. I can't imagine any age where this would be an ok thing to do with a child.

On his way home from work the Wednesday before Thankgsiving Aaron saw two separate goat herds crossing a major highway. Later we he was retelling the event to me, we realized that the goats were coming in for Eid al Adha, the Muslim celebration of the Sacrifice, which remembers Abraham honoring God's request to sacrifice his son Ishmael. It is during Eid that Muslims participate in the Hajj, the pilgrimage to Mecca. This pilgrimage is one of the five pillars of Islam. Anway, during Eid every family must purchase a sheep, goat, or camel and sacrifice it. The whole goat is used, with a portion of the meat being given away as charity. Aaron realized that it was a one way trip for those goats and that we probably wouldn't be seeing many goats crossing the highway again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment